Foreign Exchange Program
IFYE National Standards For Outbound USA IFYE Applicants
- All applicants for the IFYE Association of the USA, Inc. program are required to be U.S. citizens.
- Must be mature young adults, age 19 and over, with at least a high school education.
- Must be willing and able to devote time and energy to the study of both US and host country geography, history, culture and agriculture as well as being aware of current state, national and world events.
- A willingness to learn other languages is highly recommended of representatives who travel to countries where English is not the official language.
- Have previous travel and experience away from home to reduce the likelihood of homesickness.
- Understand that our country partners are rural based. Knowledge of rural life is helpful. Experience and knowledge of some of your state rural organizations and their educational activities are helpful.
- Demonstrate a sincere interest in understanding other people, rather than enforcing your own point of view.
- Must be alert, sincere and have a friendly attitude. Realize that some difficulties are to be expected. Must exercise emotional restraint.
- Understand, sign and follow the IFYE Code of Conduct.
- IFYE Representatives will be notified of final host country assignment(s) by March 1, or as soon as feasibly possible in cooperation with the Host Country Coordinators, State IFYE Coordinators, the IFYE Representative and the IFYE National Program Director.
- Must attend the National IFYE Orientation and Debriefing events. Special circumstances will be addressed individually.
- The IFYE National Program Director will coordinate domestic and international travel from the IFYE Representative’s home to the IFYE National Orientation and host country, as well as returning from the host country to the IFYE National Debriefing and their home. Expenses during available free time will be the responsibility of the IFYE Representative. Special circumstances will be addressed individually.
- No extension of travel will be approved. Free time will only apply to six-month participants. Approximately two weeks free time will be available between the first and second host countries where applicable. IFYE Representatives shall inform the Host Country Coordinator, IFYE State Coordinator and IFYE National Program Director of their travel arrangements and schedule during their free time.
- Representative must report back to the IFYE National Program Director and the state IFYE Coordinator (where appropriate) every three weeks with news article, photos, blog, Instagram, Twitter, etc. appropriate for publication. It is important to post photos and messages on IFYEUSA on Facebook and also on IFYE Exchange Alum and Friends on Facebook. Outbound IFYE Representatives can communicate with this social media as many IFYE Alumni are on Facebook.
- Must be willing, upon return home, to promote the IFYE program through speaking engagements over the course of one year. (States may have differing, more stringent requirements.) During these speaking engagements to such groups as Lions Club, Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, corporations, etc., please include a paragraph (provided by the IFYE Association of the USA, Inc.) about fundraising.
- The IFYE Representative is encouraged to attend the National IFYE Conference following the return from the exchange program. Up to a two hundred-dollar ($200) scholarship (per individual), not to exceed actual costs, is available to help offset the cost of attendance. This is available for use once during the first five years after the representative’s return.
- Join the IFYE Association of the USA, Inc. and your state IFYE Association. National IFYE membership is currently $30 annually. Membership is half price the first year after your program.
- Agreements (IFYE Code of Conduct and IFYE Outbound Participation Agreement) between the IFYE National Program Director and the IFYE Representative shall be signed by both parties.
Download a copy of the IFYE National Standards For Outbound USA IFYE Applicants.
Reviewed October 2020